History of Catholic Board of Education
In the 19th Century, the Christian Missionaries were running schools in the vicinity of every Parish in the Districts of South Canara, Udupi and Kasargod. These schools did not have common unified rules for communication either with the government or the public. It was a vision of the late Bishop Victor R. Fernandes, which brought all these schools into a federation under the name the Catholic Board of Education. The main intention of such a Board was to bring about the unity between the schools and the healthy relationship with the public and also with the government.
Catholic Board Symbol
The Board came into existence on 26th July, 1932 and it was named as the Catholic Board of Education. It was decided to have the Bishop of Mangalore Diocese as the president of the Board and he had the right to appoint the Secretary for the administration of the Board. Presently the Bishop of Mangalore, Rt. Rev. Dr. Aloysius Paul D'Souza, is the president and Rev. Wilson V. D'Souza, is the secretary of the Catholic Board of Education.
Presently there are 87 Primary Schools, 48 High Schools and 15 P.U, Colleges and 5 First Grade Colleges under the management of the Catholic Board of Education. The Catholic Board celebrated its Platinum Jubilee in the year 2007 in a grand scale.
The Office of the Catholic Board is situated at Shanthi Kiran, Bajjodi, Mangalore - 5.